Sunday, September 23, 2007

a night at the movies.

the husband and i and our two good friends went to dinner and a movie last night, while the bean had a sleepover at her gigi and poppy's house. we've only been out a handful of times since she was born, and it was so nice to get out.

i used to go to the movies often, it was one of my absolute favorite things to do. sometimes, in the dead of august when it was so hot that i couldn't bear to sit in my un air-conditioned apartment, i would go to the movies every night after work that i didn't have plans.

i've seen three movies in the theatre in two years, now, and last night we saw across the universe, a movie i'd been waiting for since i first heard it was being made. i have been a huge fan of julie taymor's work since my friend kristy and i went to see her show at the women's museum in dc six or seven years ago. i really loved the movie, although visually i thought it was a bit disjointed, but it was inspiring and actually kept me awake half of the night even though we didn't get home until 1 am, well past my usual bedtime. (the only other movie that ever had that effect was the science of sleep. - especially the "making of" - the director spent three months in his backyard doing all of the stop-motion scenes!)

the funny thing was that i remembered how much i liked going to the movies alone... i mean, i loved seeing the movies with friends and the husband, but it was at times such an odd movie that i kept worrying if everyone was enjoying it. the great thing about going by myself is that i didn't have to care...

4 comments:

Patty said...

Hi Jen,
I love your Etsy shop! Your stuff is really cute.

BTW, have you heard of the Random 8 Meme? Well...you've been tagged, and you're IT. For details and instructions, visit my blog at www.pattylakinsmith.blogspot.com

Cheers!
Patty

Beth Lisa Goss, Wire Tree said...

I like your shop too! You're right next to me in the blog ring so I'll come back and check for your next post.

Unknown said...

Your shop is so cute! I love your spirograph flower brooches and pom pom barrettes!

Happy crafting!

averagejen said...

thanks so much! i pretty much spaced on the last month... my little day job has turned into and all day job temporarily... hopefully not too much longer!