Thursday, July 24, 2008

i heart mulder and scully

sigh. here's where i will no longer be able to hide my inner geek. i kind of forgot about the new x-files movie coming out, but now that i've seen this photo, i am a sooooooooooooooooooo excited to see my mulder and scully again!

i started watching x-files in college, and now that i think of it, it's funny how i can trace some of the changes in my life along the ritual that was sunday night tv. first, it was turning off the phone and squeezing on the thrift store sofa with my favorite roommates sara and colleen, then, later watching it with my friend christopher (who i convinced to name his new puppy "mulder") , and finally, heading over to the apartment shared by kristy, chip, and their roommate (now my husband) to cook a nice meal before turning on the tv. i am embarrassed to say that kristy and i screamed and cried when mulder and scully finally kissed.

i don't like science fiction, and i'm not really into tv, but something about the relationship between mulder and scully was addictive. i loved the reversal of stereotypes - the strong, practical female character and the emotionally vulnerable male. in fact, i just read this article, and i think the writer's got it just right.

anyway, nothing artsy or craftsy in this post, i'm just brimming with excitement.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! I'm going to see it with my dad this Saturday. I have watched the show since the first season. My college roommates & I watched it religiously every Sunday, too. To this day I can never listen to that Johnny Mathis song from the episode with the Peacock family (the inbreeding one)...that was so creepy.

kristy said...

I think our screaming and jumping when mulder and scully kissed is what REALLY got us evicted from the apartment... NOT my cat who was really a dog. Another X-files conspiracy!